Speed dating in ann arbor mi
They told the New Yorkers this new "city" had an area of 65 blocks, a church and a public and academic square.
16 men bought plots in the nonexistent city, and upon reaching the area later that year found they had been scammed.
Many in the group too disappointed to stay ended up settling around what is now metropolitan Lansing.
Those who stayed quickly renamed the area "Lansing Township" in honor of their home village in New York.
It was the last of the county's townships to be surveyed, and the land was not offered for sale until October 1830.
In the winter of 1835 and early 1836, two brothers from New York plotted the area now known as REO Town just south of downtown Lansing and named it "Biddle City".
When announced, many present openly laughed that such an insignificant settlement was now Michigan's capital. Greenly signed into law the act of the legislature making Lansing Township the state capital.
Most of what is known as Lansing today is the result of the city becoming an industrial powerhouse which began with the founding of Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August 1897.
The Lansing Metropolitan Area, colloquially referred to as "Mid-Michigan", is an important center for educational, cultural, governmental, commercial, and industrial functions. state capital (among the 47 located in counties) that is not also a county seat.
The area is home to two medical schools, one veterinary school, two nursing schools, two law schools—including Western Michigan University Cooley Law School and Michigan State University College of Law, a Big Ten Conference university - (Michigan State University), the Michigan State Capitol, the state Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals, a federal court, the Library of Michigan and Historical Center, and headquarters of four national insurance companies. The seat of government of Ingham County is Mason, The land that was to become Lansing was surveyed as "Township 4 North Range 2 West" in February 1827 in what was then dense forest.
The legislature gave the settlement the temporary name of the "Town of Michigan".
In April 1848, the legislature then gave the settlement the name of "Lansing".) in area was incorporated as a city.